Monday, June 5, 2017

Time Out

Ella and Sydney get sent to time out... what's the word... oh yeah, often.

A few months ago, we realized we needed to establish time out.  There are two main reasons for time out: 1. discipline (obviously) and 2. time to assess the situation.  For example, Twin #1 bites her sister, gets immediately sent to time out so we can comfort and help out Twin #2.  When you have two the same age and with them so young, you need a few minutes to get your bearings straight.  Once the victim is cleared, we go to deal with the instigator.  We will go to the time out chair, sit down in front of the criminal, and have a nice conversation about why we don't do "xyz", often times have to cut on listening ears, and it always ends in an apology and hug to the victim sister.

There are a lot of times during the "time out talk" that the sister/victim walks up and stands behind us like "I've got your back" or "just eavesdropping".  Thus causing us to shoo her away, and when she is reluctant, threatening time out to her, too.

The worst part of this whole disciplining gig?  I laugh almost every single time.  I'm a terrible, terrible mom.  Daniel shakes his head and shames me because I suck so much.  I'm trying really hard to work on my angry face, but they're just so cute!

So anyway, in true monkey-see-monkey-do form, the girls have started to discipline EACH OTHER.  I've caught them a few times going to sit down "talk to" the offender.  I cannot control my laughter - this is hilarious, and awesome.  My end goal here is to leave the parenting up to them, so I can sit on the couch and watch Netflix.


When we aren't inside, time out happens anywhere... like on the slide

or on the porch couch.

Sydney chatting with Ella (and about two seconds later, they switched places and Ella chatted with Sydney)
You really just can't make this stuff up.  Parenting - awesome, hilarious, challenging... all wrapped up into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment