Monday, June 5, 2017

Mother's Day

I'm not a huge fan of made-up Hallmark holidays.  Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, National Margarita Day.  Why can't we just show our love and appreciation for our significant others, parents, and tequila all the time, not just when the internet tells us to?

Alas, Mother's Day has come around and I really only want one thing on Mother's Day - to enjoy my children and being a mom without all the hard-mom-work.  As always, Daniel nailed it.

I got to sleep in, lay in bed and watch tv and get lost on social media.  I smelled bacon cooking, and came downstairs to a delicious breakfast.  I drank hot coffee, watched Sunday Morning, and listened to my two sweet girls playing and chatting and giggling (and who are we kidding... fighting).

We got dressed and went outside - I soaked in two toddlers who squealed in delight over bubbles.  They picked me "flowers" (weeds), and that is -hands down- the best gift a mom could ever receive.  The napped, we snuggled, and Daniel handled all the meals, diapers, and bath time.

We didn't leave to go anywhere (that's usually a somewhat stressful event that takes both parents, which equals effort on my part, which is not what I wanted for my Mother's Day).  We didn't see our moms, which is something my mom always has encouraged growing up.  She knows we love her, and also knows that it's now my time to enjoy my own day.  Daniel's mom, on the other hand, doesn't quite get that, but that's okay.  We fixed her dinner the night before, and she was able to spend quality time with her granddaughters.  We still celebrate our moms, just on a different day.  I'm so thankful that's what my mom pushed for, and I'll do the same with my sweet children!

That, my friends, is what Mother's Day is all about.  Being a momma, soaking in all the goodness, and relaxing.

Adorable Mother's Day crafts.  Ella's hands are pink, Sydney's are purple
Actually, this is the first time I've ever attempted a hand-print craft.  We've always done feet before because they're so much easier, and the girls did fantastic!
sweet morning view - Sunday Morning on TV, Momma's lap as a play area

bubbles!


"I picked flower, Momma"


Ella picked me a flower AND gave me a stick!

finished up the day on the porch with these two cute things + Moana

Ella loves to get snuggled up close to her Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment