Thursday, May 2, 2013

April Showers... Bring May Flowers

Last weekend, Daniel & Derek went to tailgate before the race.  It was a gorgeous weekend, so Kelly & I decided to spend time outdoors.  She picked me up, and after lunch at Wendy's, we headed to Maymont for their herb festival.  I have a few pictures, but they are on my camera...in Kelly's car, so I'll update with pictures later. 

Sleepy girl with her momma

such a sweet smile

driving the jeep


We had a nice time... the vendors weren't has friendly and helpful as I'd hope, especially since I'm brand new to having a garden/herbs, and I had lots of questions.  The most helpful booth we found is where we spent our money - you know how much I love good customer service.  I had parsley and basil at home (RIP dill), so I was on the hunt for cilantro.  I even took it a few steps further and got tomatoes!  And a tomatillo plant!  We are hoping to make our own salsa, since neither of us are tomato fans.  Kelly also picked up a few tomatoes and basil.  Tonight, Daniel and I are spending tonight planting our cucumbers, tomatoes, and jalapenos.  I'll take pictures and show you the end result!

Speaking of plants... the azalea we planted a few weeks ago has started to bloom!  I definitely wasn't expecting a bloom, since it's a brand new plant, but hey - I'll take it


I have envisioned a very specific shelf for our bathroom.. I'm sure I saw something very similar on Pinterest... but it's not "common" (of course, I never make things easy for Danel).  Just take one of those shelves with a pretty iron bracket and turn it upside down.  I've been searching high and low for the right kind of brackets (according to Daniel.. what he thinks we need), and I finally found some!  Here's the finished product... and I love it. 


The iron goes perfectly with the Charleston feel to the bathroom - the old tin mirror, the "Angel Oak" picture, and I even added some Charleston touches - Sweetgrass rose/basket and scrollwork frames.  I still need to add pictures to the frames, but hey, I've done the hard part so far.  I need a breather.

Kelly started our week out perfect - she was able to get Abby's hair into her first set of pigtails, and sent us this gem:



Back in January, a retired football/baseball coach at Thomas Dale suggested the baseball field be named after Matthew Gwaltney - Virginia Tech student (and TD graduate) - who was killed during the shootings on April 16th.  I sent in my "letter of recommendation" on why it's such an awesome idea, along with the rest of Chester (I'm sure).  The School Board unanimously approved - and yesterday was the dedication to the field.  I'm so proud that things like this have and are happening.  It shows that we are honoring the lives of those 32 - and, that we have prevailed.  We are focusing the attention in the right place :)

Unveiling the plaque

Matt's dad, Greg, throwing out the first pitch of the game




Last night, I got to catch up with my bff Robin over Don Jose, and we met Wanda & Kay at the movies and saw The Big Wedding - lots of laughs, and I went to bed a happy girl!  I don't get to see her as much as I'd like, so it was a fun hump-day treat.  This weekend, Georgia, Annabeth, and I are spending the weekend in Williamsburg - relaxing and shopping to celebrate Annabeth's 21st birthday.  I'm looking forward to a fun weekend away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment