Monday, April 10, 2017

Monkey See Monkey Do, Ella & Sydney are turning TWO!

A few months ago I came across a post in a twin mom group I'm in about second birthday party themes.  You know me - always try to capitalize on the whole twin thing whenever possible.  I thought about Tea for Two and also Two Scoops are Better than One, but neither one seemed quite right.  I also saw Monkey See Monkey Do, but immediately dismissed it because I really don't like monkeys.  Then that damn theme kept bugging me because the Monkey See Monkey Do game is REAL at our house.  If one girl does something, the other one is right behind her doing it too.  And the thing is - it's good and bad.  If one takes a bite of food, the other will.  If one listens and does what she's supposed to, the other follows.  If one takes off running and they aren't supposed to, dammit the other one runs too.  So I knew we really should go with this theme, and I was determined to find a monkey that was cute enough.  I also found a twin mama (the same one who did our Sink Sisters print) who was able to take my not-so-cute Monkey vision and make it into an ADORABLE invitation.


The next challenge: executing the perfect toddler party.  We had gone to the children's museum one day and the girls had a blast!  I loved how the place was filled to the brim with fun toddler activities.  I saw that they did birthday parties, but it was kind of out of our price range.  Then I had an idea - why don't I just plan a fun space filled with toddler activities, since we have so many toddler friends?!  Then I had to think like E&S.  I got together all things that they would love - a small bounce house, water beads, rice table, sand table, small roller coaster, bubbles, etc.  Then I thought about food and anything that would make our lives easier if we went to a party, so it had to be easy and mess-free.  I did a "make your own lunchables" spread for the little people and delicious BBQ + fixing's for the big people.  Of course we had chocolate milk boxes, beer/wine, monkey cupcakes, and banana pudding.

It was a lot of prep work, but as I was up late the night before, all I could think was a) this will be epic and b) we only have to do this ONCE per year.  Twinning. 

The mantle - I think it turned out SO cute!  I had a friend do the water color painting, Robin sent us the adorable personalized monkeys, and I wrapped up some empty boxes :)


Toddler Trail Mix Bar + parting gifts

What is more fitting for our little friends than a toddler trail mix bar!?  Baby goldfish, animal crackers, puffs, teddy grahams, pretzels, pouches, and mini M&Ms

Those aren't Chiquita bananas, they are #doublesinks bananas

Thanks for Swinging By!  Curious George coloring books + crayons for our party friends

adorable cupcakes (and they are Harrison friendly + DELICIOUS!)

Birthday girls each need to have their own giant cupcake.
We worked hard during nap time to get all the last-minute details set-up and ready.  It's amazing how much we couldn't do with the girls around or else they would have gotten into it. 
the birthday girls have gotten up from their nap and are testing out the trail mix bar
Then it was party time!  I really didn't get to take too many pictures - it was a fun circus of tiny humans, their parents, and making sure everyone had what they needed!  And I have to say - IT WAS SOOOO MUCH FUN!  I think everyone (bigs and littles) really enjoyed themselves.  The tiny tots liked all of the fun activities, the food was good, and we were surrounded with people we love.  Also, I really needed good weather for this to be a success, and what do you know - it was a PERFECT day to play outside.
water table turned rice table

Sydney loved all the bubbles

E shoveling the water beads


I'm two, me too!

bubbles and babies <3



After playing and dinner, it was time to sing to the birthday girls.  To say Ella loved the cupcake is a major understatement.  That girl loves something sweet.  Sydney on the other hand would rather run around and play.
Momma & Daddy with their birthday twins!



"I'll take a big old bite right here" -E
"Why are you people staring at me and this huge cupcake?" -S

Haha, Sydney went off to play and Ella sat there for a WHILE in cupcake heaven

sharing with Momma

Sydney stopped by for a quick lick of icing...

... and she was off to play again!

The girls went to bed a little after 9 and slept until 9 the next morning!  They had bubbles stuck in their hair, and we found rice EVERYWHERE (Sydney even stuffed it into her pockets).  If we're being honest, that's basically the equivalent of a toddler hangover, so that means the party was a MAJOR SUCCESS!  Until next year <3

No comments:

Post a Comment