Friday, June 24, 2016

I caught a glimpse.

About a month ago, Daniel and I were driving home (separately) from watching Abby at gymnastics.  I was behind him in my sweet-ass minivan, and he was in his sleek Genesis.  He looked into the rearview mirror, grinned, and I melted.  He was looking at me.  Looking back at his wife, the person he chose to spend the rest of his life with.  He smiled that grin that I just love, and I caught a glimpse of his dimple and I smiled.  When life is hectic and we take out our unhappy feelings on the person we are most comfortable with, we have to remember how we started this whole thing.  He had just turned 18 (add a dozen years), was way too cocky (and still is), and he was cute (yep, still is).  He played tennis, and I watched.  I thought he had a sexy car, a white Toyota Celica, that he zipped into the tennis court parking lot.  He started looking at me like he wanted me - the girl managing his tennis team - nobody else.  That's what I caught a glimpse of driving home the other day - my husband that chose me and nobody else.  We are older and wiser, have added some extra pounds, but our hearts have multiplied in size.

This guy.  My whole world, the person that challenges me, keeps me on my toes, has given me two beautiful girls that he simply adores, and makes my soul happy.  I'm a lucky girl.

I had to snap a picture as soon as we got home to help me remember the butterflies that smile in the rearview gave me.  When we get tired and grumpy and annoyed, we need to get back to our roots, back to the spark that started it all. 

"The first time you fall in love, it changes your life forever, and no matter how hard you try, the feeling never goes away." {The Notebook}

No comments:

Post a Comment